PPK on the Warpath again

Site Announcements
Toast

PPK on the Warpath again

Post by Toast » 17 Aug 2008, 13:30

Here is something sour that been brewing for awhile, PPK the developer of Ptokax has made claims that ApexDC++ and StrongDC++ and RSX++ are violating the license they are developed under.

PPK wishes to shutdown Sourceforge sites for the respective clients in some weird attempt to save Direct Connect Community (although not seeing how shutting down sites would help anyone).

Here are the full claims from PPK and under is statement from Big Muscle developer of StrongDC++

Update: It seems like PPK is at a loss since the code has been validated and the licensed checked.
PPK (Ptokax Board) wrote: I want script that will block these clients:
ApexDC++ (ApexDC++ in tag) version 1.0.0 Beta 5, 1.0.1 and 1.1.0
StrongDC++ (StrgDC++ in tag) version 2.06, 2.1, 2.11, 2.12, 2.13, 2.2 and 2.21
RSX++ (RSX++ in tag) version 1.00B2, 1.00B3 and 1.00

They will be disconnected with reason:
Your client is not allowed here because use code against licenses:
1 ) Use code from DC++ 0.701 and newer and is compiled Windows Template Library (licensed under GNU GPL incompatible license). DC++ license for 0.701 and newer don't allow that.
2 ) Use code from DC++ modifications (CZDC++, oDC, PhantomDC, PossumMod, ReverseConnect) and is compiled with OpenSSL (licensed under GNU GPL incompatible license). None of mentioned mods allow that in license.

I'm contacted sourceforge, because they using it for project. Sourceforge wanted that i'm send info about this problem to project administrators, and if they don't fix it then sourceforge remove them.
Big Muscle (ApexDC++ Board) wrote: On many systems including the major Linux and BSD distributions, yes (the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part of the normal operating system distribution).

On other systems, the situation is less clear. Some GPL software copyright holders claim that you infringe on their rights if you use OpenSSL with their software on operating systems that don't normally include OpenSSL.

If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may find it useful to choose an other license than the GPL, or state explicitly that "This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed." If you are using GPL software developed by others, you may want to ask the copyright holder for permission to use their software with OpenSSL
Big Muscle (RSX++ Forums) wrote: I can't do nothing, because there's nothing wrong. StrongDC++ license is based on DC++ 0.7xx which is allowed to be linked against OpenSSL and I was also allowed to link it against WTL. Arnetheduck (DC++ developer) just told me that I should remind him to add WTL to the list of exceptions to have an order in it. So the only question is whether StrongDC++ mod can be compiled in such way too, but I guess they can if they use its license.

However, PPK's post in in ApexDC++ forum shows his problems with English language. OpenSSL FAQs writes that some copyright holders can claim that we infringe on their rights if we compile our application with OpenSSL on non-OpenSSL OS. But the situation is that arnetheduck never said something like this, so there's no problem with OpenSSL.

Another thing is that PPK should clean his pidgin first. There is a lot of code in CzDC which violates license of some mod he copied from (for example DC++, StrongDC++, oDC etc.). He should also know that using foreign code under GNU/GPL doesn't give him original copyright, so he isn't allowed to remove any copyright notice from such code as he did.

PPK wrote that our clients violate licenses for example of following mods, but:

CZDC++ [ex. chat control,...
this is not true, because there was no copyright holder written in GNU/GPL notice at the time I took the code. So when there's no copyright holder, this copyright/license can't be violated.

ReverseConnect [ex. sorting in TypedTreeListViewCtrl...])
I got this code from RevConnect's developer and I was allowed to use it as I wanted The only condition was that copyright notice has to be near the code. And PPK breaks this, so he violates RevConnects license.

Also I send a patch to arnetheduck for one bug in DC++ 0.7xx and this fix appears also in CzDC (maybe there's more code, but currently I'm 100% sure only about one this bugfix). So it is obvious that PPK violates license of DC++ 0.7xx.
adrian_007 (RSX++ Forums) wrote: PPK haven't read RSX++ License at all

This program is licensed under GPL-2 with the notable exception
that you may compile it with WTL (sf.net/projects/wtl) and OpenSSL (http://www.openssl.org).
case closed.
Crise (ApexDC++ Board) wrote: OpenSSL is GPL compatible, case closed.
Full Story Links:
ApexDC++ Board Thread
RSX++ Forum Thread
Ptokax Board

Toast

Re: PPK on the Warpath again

Post by Toast » 17 Aug 2008, 13:32

Any thoughts from anyone ?

I can give my 2 cents

Just pathetic is my first thought, not sure what hes getting outta this at all.

Mythrael

Post by Mythrael » 17 Aug 2008, 14:01

who's ppk?

anyway, he has dodgy arguments.
don't mind me, I'm just lurking in the darkness..... bugger me it's scary.

Toast

Post by Toast » 17 Aug 2008, 14:23

Developer of PtokaX Direct Connect Hub

PPK in full ranting mode
Link 1 (RSX++ Forum)
Link 2 (ApexDC++ Board)
Link 3 (PtokaX Portal)

Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle » 18 Aug 2008, 14:20

It is interesting that PPK is interesed only in clients I wrote in Nighthawks Forum as StrongDC++ derivations. It's just clear proof that PPK isn't interested in any license but he only wants to kill StrongDC++ and its derived clients.

Moderator Edit: (The continuation of the thread from the discussion)

adimosh

Post by adimosh » 30 Nov 2008, 08:48

It seems that the CzDC++ project is shut down (ironically). The site hasn't been working for about a week now, and I haven't been able to find any news.

If anyone can find a working link / news about CzDC++ and hand them over, I'd be much obliged.

Toast

Post by Toast » 30 Nov 2008, 08:52

Well in all honesty after all the shit he did i don't think anyone here will cry over his client not being available.

adimosh

Post by adimosh » 30 Nov 2008, 09:11

Don't you just hate it when otherwise normal-looking developers jump at other people's necks because of having developed a better client than them?

Oh well...

Toast

Post by Toast » 30 Nov 2008, 09:29

Think the issue goes to the flamewar ppk and bm has then it spilled out over all the others when ppk lost his temper, in anyways adcportal tries to keep out of flamewars since its not our interest to be a part of those just make reports about adc development.

Pietry

Post by Pietry » 30 Nov 2008, 13:42

Czdc is not adc related so we don't have much knowledge about it anyway. But I for one am not evil about it, I appreciate someone else's work and wish luck for PPK even if he doesn't share the same ideas for the future of DC as I do. The only thing I;m against is him attacking adc all the time. But anyway I don't think its proper for me and/or us to add more sticks on this fire . Wishing a happy life for PPK , health and prosper and that's it :P
Just someone