Securing (A/NM)DC with Phishtank

Site Announcements
Toast

Securing (A/NM)DC with Phishtank

Post by Toast » 20 May 2009, 14:04

Hi Folks

I know that news have been slow lately, i was hoping that the rest of the admins would post something but it has been dry on the news front well not anymore cause ADC and NMDC is getting Phishtank protection :) (some ppl are wondering what the hell that is now well allow me to explain)

What is phishing?

Phishing is a fraudulent attempt, usually made through email or links, to steal your personal information.

What is PhishTank?

PhishTank is a collaborative clearing house for data and information about phishing on the Internet. Also, PhishTank provides an open API for developers and researchers to integrate anti-phishing data into their applications at no charge.

How does all of this fit into (Advanced) Direct Connect ?

Well it all began 1 week ago when we found the phishing site for DC++, me and offset were having a discussion about stuff and i started to look the API for Phishtank and since it was BASE64 already i asked offset if it was possible to implement into ADC as a plugin or something then i talked to CyB that loved the idea and wanted to give it a try for DCWatch.

So far its in it early stages i hope that it will be a success and more plugins with phishtank will be available for (A)DC, CyB has stated that its gonna be available soon he thinks its gonna be in version 0.4.1.1 that might be ready as soon as 2009-06-01.

So what is DCWatch ?

Well its a new generation Bot software for ADC and NMDC and Jabber (our wiki article).

Its written in java with alot of support for plugins to other platforms and i hope that this bot will pick up in its usage after this article.

http://dcwatch.hu/
https://launchpad.net/dcwatch

Pietry

Re: Securing (A/NM)DC with Phishtank

Post by Pietry » 21 May 2009, 07:55

Since the current NMDC hubs are not quite actively developed, and DC++ for the NMDC part as well, I don;t think this could be integrated to soon in NMDC.
However it's a good idea for ADC, but I don't know how useful it will actually be. The phishtank should warn users about what? Clicking links? "fake " hubs ?
There should be some actual targets that phishtank could help with.
Just someone

Toast

Post by Toast » 21 May 2009, 10:45

Well the idea is for DCWatch to check the link and if value "true" is found upon return from the phishtank servers then user is booted CID and IP and Nick should be reported to ops and link should be rejected.

well NMDC gets this anyways since DCWatch support NMDC its not anything official but i want this to be official for ADC so its not just filesharing oriented software.

en_dator

Post by en_dator » 22 May 2009, 09:55

for use in a bot it can make a lot of sence having something like phishtank, some of the more ugly spams should be taken care of by it.

Its a nice idea :)

Pietry

Post by Pietry » 22 May 2009, 14:43

We will see how dcwatch/embla handles it and perhaps this will be a boost for other devs to integrate such measures into their software.
Just someone