Flexhub and a new sunrise for a common sun

Site Announcements
blastbeat

Re: Flexhub and a new sunrise for a common sun

Post by blastbeat » 13 Jul 2009, 13:07

FlipFlop™ wrote:Source might be available at some point, but for the near future we will be actively developping this hubsoft. To somewhat safeguard against too easy abuse of the software either internally or externally we are keeping the source closed for now.
well i guess you have to open the source when you for example using the base32/tiger hash code from luadch (which using it from dc++). cant imagine that you want to rewrite that stuff (especially lua)

blastbeat

Post by blastbeat » 13 Jul 2009, 13:23

and of course its quite pointless to use luac to obfuscating your lua files, see http://luadec51.luaforge.net/

FlipFlop™

Post by FlipFlop™ » 13 Jul 2009, 17:43

We're not using any part of luadch or any other GPL/GNU lua-script or hubsoft, we're using a lua lib from lua AIO distribution for Tiger hashes. The used libs don't impose restrictions on closing source.

I know the source can easily be deobfuscated, but that's not the point here.
But it will at least offers a small threshold against lua-DIY hubowners that might (un)intentionally messup (the wrong) files. Obfuscating the files gives a bit more certainty that when asked for help, we'll be addressing hubproblems instead of DIY-messups.

As I said though, we might disclose the source at some point, if we're certain that the base we've written is as efficient as stable. In my opinion, it's only worth sharing if it's a good starting point to work with.

blastbeat

Post by blastbeat » 13 Jul 2009, 19:09

FlipFlop™ wrote:We're not using any part of luadch or any other GPL/GNU lua-script or hubsoft, we're using a lua lib from lua AIO distribution for Tiger hashes. The used libs don't impose restrictions on closing source.
you certainly mean the "dc" lib with functions hashpas, hashpid, hashpasos.
this is code from luadch/dc++ licensed under GPL.
FlipFlop™ wrote:As I said though, we might disclose the source at some point, if we're certain that the base we've written is as efficient as stable. In my opinion, it's only worth sharing if it's a good starting point to work with.
well, it would be nice for me to take a look at the adc part of your hub. worked long time on luadch and i am always interested in better solutions for doing stuff like protocol parsing... in this issue i am ACK with pietrys post

Crise

Post by Crise » 13 Jul 2009, 22:35

Some general opinions follow, regarding this lua AIO and it's use...

I am not a LUA guy but I looked quickly at the lua AIO project and when I look at the homepage, it indeed does say that use of external libraries included is subject to the conditions which the libraries were released under (just in much worse English than that).

However, even the project page for lua AIO already contradicts with the homepage for the same thing, because while homepage speaks of MIT License the project page lists it under public domain. Plus it does not help any that the information provided about the libraries bundled with it is sparse and little to no use at all in regards to finding out about the licensing restrictions imposed by use of some specific library.

I wouldn't be surprised if with little trouble you could find many projects using something from this thing while actually breaking one or even more different licenses.

Also in my opinion if you use a library from a bundle like this one and don't bother to find out about the origins of that library, you will seriously limit your own project since you will be looking at a second hand source for any possible updates to those libraries. The situation is even worse if those libraries happen to have their source code provided by the original author since then you'll be missing out on the chance to improve or add patches to those libraries yourself at later date.

FlipFlop™

Post by FlipFlop™ » 14 Jul 2009, 00:15

Let me clarify first and foremost, if FlexHub would be using any part of a GNU GPL licensed piece of code, we would absolutely release FlexHub under the same license.

And there has been some digging around the libs used by Lua AIO to make sure FlexHub wouldn't be breaking any license agreement.

Below is a summary of the used libs with their corresponding licenses. For your convenience even the webpage stating it has been added for most of them:

lua: MIT
lua AIO: MIT
geoip: http://www.maxmind.com/app/license_agree
iconv: MIT/X
lfs: The spirit of the license is that you are free to use LuaFileSystem for any purpose at no cost without having to ask us. The only requirement is that if you do use LuaFileSystem, then you should give us credit by including the appropriate copyright notice somewhere in your product or its documentation. - http://www.keplerproject.org/luafilesystem/license.html
ssl: MIT
th: Tiger has no usage restrictions nor patents. http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~biham/Reports/Tiger/
tth: Tiger has no usage restrictions nor patents. http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~biham/Reports/Tiger/
wx: uses GNU GPL with the exception of releasing under own terms binary object code versions of the code that uses the lib - http://wxlua.sourceforge.net/license.php
sockets: MIT/X - http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~diego/pr ... luasocket/
zlib: zlib license: Note that the license does not require source code to be made available.

Blastbeat: The dc-lib you're referring to isn't used, at least not yet, since we're using a simplified logon for ADC for testing up to now. But with a lua base32 and the Tiger hash lib, i'm not sure if it's needed, i might be proven wrong though.

That doesn't reduce any of the value that could result from fellow-developers reviewing the sourcecode which could result in advice or propositions to improve the code. Totally agree with you there blastbeat, although i don't have access to Pietry's post you are referring to. But again, I am not saying source won't be released, but just not yet, it's our job to make it worth to be shared first.

Toast

Post by Toast » 14 Jul 2009, 11:33

thats my fault flipflop ill grant you access ive just been busy unpacking my stuff into my new apartment.

Pietry

Post by Pietry » 16 Jul 2009, 07:35

I feel the need of little comment. Opening up a source code it's not just about making a good source public. It's about you as well, if your source is available people can start helping you. So, even if your source is not that good or efficient, somebody can think of improving it ( happened on me with DSHub ).
About Tiger, there are no patents as long as you keep the software free ( if you use it commercially you need to pay ), however, it's not the case. Tiger is a very good hash algorithm but it's not used on commercial application ( they still prefer md5, although it has been broken ), because of this reason.
However, it's your choice to open up source or not and nobody is forcing you if you have no licensing issue. I'm just pointing out things from my own experience. Also, blastbeat's experience might be helpful in your project.
Regardless of what you decide, I wish you best of luck with Flexhub.
Just someone

en_dator

Post by en_dator » 16 Jul 2009, 17:08

small point, if proves difficult to make the clients autodetect protocol it should be fairly simple to make a hub redirect anyone connecting to it using nmdc protocol, just send it a link with the correct adc(s) link nmdc style and most clients should follow it?

darkKlor

Post by darkKlor » 19 Jul 2009, 06:11

It's such a nuisance that with NMDC the server sends the first command, whereas with ADC it's the hub that does so. I did consider adding NMDC support to NetfractionHub, because internally it would be pretty simple to translate between the two protocols. However, the whole initial connection bit put me off the idea of bothering. You could do like a compatability mode where the hub waited a few seconds to see if it received a HSUP, and otherwise send a Lock, but that would be very dodgy.

Congrats to FlipFlop for bothering to tackle the task!

P.S. there are major updates to NetfractionHub coming... slowly. Life has just been in the way :)