Profile Emulation in AML

Discussion and questions about clients

Keep all emulated Clients in one profile ?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 5

Toast

Profile Emulation in AML

Post by Toast » 13 Aug 2008, 09:41

Well im at a cross section in AML, here is why bug 257525 at launchpad started to make me spin of and think of keeping all emulation under one profile instead of having profiles for each and every client that emulates.

en_dator

Re: Profile Emulation in AML

Post by en_dator » 15 Aug 2008, 09:03

I think I understand why you would want all emu's into one, but I think that it would cause more issues than it solves, like for example what IS an emulation client?

as I see it you have a couple of options
1) one emu for each client as it was in aml 3 (this I like as it means I can decide which clients I want in the hub, but ofc it means more work to maintain, and more detections in the list. But it has also another advantage - compare #3)

2) one emu for all (this I do not like)

3) a small number of emu definitions, for example one "good", one "bad".
Downside is that no matter how the clients are divided there will always
be much 'discussion' about where a client belongs.

4) Put the standard and emu mode of the client into the same definition
(this I would prefer, but I dont know if its possible)

the last option is what I would prefer, if that cant be done, i'd like
the first one.

There - thats what I think about it :) :geek:

Toast

Post by Toast » 15 Aug 2008, 10:39

tnx for the input :)

i know that people (operators) wants control over what clients are in their hubs, thats why 1 emu profile seems kinda weak.

for instance all the faking clients that uses DC++ tag etc, well my thought was to have the bad as before in their own profile so detection don't skip out.

and have all the regular emu as one instead of multiple, how does that sound ?

Toast

Post by Toast » 15 Aug 2008, 15:17

Seems like i have to do a 3 way split anyways due to apex emu and normal and fuldc emu

en_dator

Post by en_dator » 15 Aug 2008, 17:54

it isnt possible to have the emu in the same as the non emu tag?

Toast

Post by Toast » 16 Aug 2008, 16:37

Well the current problem im facing is mismatching in SU ST CO and TS Fields when i try to fit everything in one profile

en_dator

Post by en_dator » 17 Aug 2008, 12:40

your the expert, im sure you figure it out :)

Toast

Post by Toast » 17 Aug 2008, 12:43

Well i really hope so trying as hard as i can don't know how the list works since little feedback has come in on this series but im trying to make the necessary changes so that you (operators) can decide for themselves the good thing about launchpad is the blueprint part. That lets me makes specs and documentation for AML.

en_dator

Post by en_dator » 18 Aug 2008, 09:28

actually I'm a little surprised too about the lack of discussion, but maybe its true what thay say, the sun could be up :lol:

Can you see download stats on the xml files from sourceforge, is there anyone using it?

And I can promise you more feedback from me, I'm just slacking a bit letting you finish this one first :D

Toast

Post by Toast » 18 Aug 2008, 11:02

since im using SVN now its kinda hard to get measures but the rar file is when you all decide that the release is stable enough to be released as a rar file for those that dont use rsx and want traditional downloads.

Im also kinda surprised by the lack of interest when i made AML 3.x ppl talked nonstop about how when and what should be included but this version has been surprisingly quiet, i guess i have myself to blame with my indecision about continuing making AML etc.