Partial File Sharing

Here is the sub forum used for talking about ideas, implementations and suggestions or typical guidelines.

Further info on extension or the protocol is found at our Wiki

darkKlor

Re: Partial File Sharing

Post by darkKlor » 03 Oct 2009, 14:49

Ohh that! I've noticed that in action on my local hub...

A few people are very WTF about it because they are sharing files they never chose to share! It is one thing for the person you downloaded a file off to see what you have downloaded, but quite another for a third-party to see what you've been downloading with no human interaction required!

I would like to see this reworked (at the client level I guess) so that a user does not see who they are downloading off when this form of file sharing is used. Also, some form of notification in the transfer window to signal that a file is being uploaded using this feature would be nice. If the anonymity can be done at the specification level then the transfer window notifaction would also inform the user that the person cannot see who you are, though I'm not sure that this is possible.

Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle » 03 Oct 2009, 16:44

This feature is indicated by [P] flag in transfer's status column. If user dislike this feature, he can disable it by disabling segmented downloading.

Pietry

Post by Pietry » 03 Oct 2009, 17:27

A few people are very WTF about it because they are sharing files they never chose to share!
Yes I was also very intrigued. But if you are downloading a file that is available on the net from X users, what is the problem if you are one of them? Actually it's not your file yet anyway. Imagine you are copying some bytes and sending them over back again.
So it seems quite fair to me now.
If user dislike this feature, he can disable it by disabling segmented downloading.
It would be cool to disable just this feature.
Just someone

cologic

Post by cologic » 03 Oct 2009, 19:00

Pietry wrote:Yes I was also very intrigued. But if you are downloading a file that is available on the net from X users, what is the problem if you are one of them? Actually it's not your file yet anyway. Imagine you are copying some bytes and sending them over back again.
So it seems quite fair to me now.
It's a potentially undesired information leak. One might not want others to know that one is downloading some file; currently, the uploading client might distribute this information (although it hopefully does not) without one's consent, but at least one's own client should be trusted not to blithely advertise such a fact unless desired.

This is orthogonal to whatever notion of fairness you might hold.