Chat channel identification

Ideas for ADC may be presented here for others to review and point out flaws or further improve the idea.
Forum rules
If you have an account on the wiki, remember to update the ADC Proposals page for new ideas.

http://dcbase.org/wiki/ADC_Proposals_list
Pretorian
Site Admin

Chat channel identification

Post by Pretorian » 06 Feb 2011, 21:47

I have been thinking of chat channels and what is required to support them in ADC.

At the very core, I think it is possible to handle chat channels (or, "groups") today without any trouble.

Simply; put all joining, parting, creation and deletion through user commands; have the hub create a user calles "chat group 1" etc; and let clients use the PM field in MSG.

Doing this would however not provide clients of any way of knowing (except through guesswork and/or chat channel naming) whether a client is a chat channel or not.

Therefore, I propose that CT128 should be used to signal that a client is a channel or an additional field 'CC' with the value '1' (any other value is reserved).

andyhhp

Re: Chat channel identification

Post by andyhhp » 08 Feb 2011, 19:12

Funny you should say this.

I have implemented a proof of concept of this in my hub.

Having said that, implementing it like this is very hacked up and rather inflexable. I was thinking of writing a proposal for an extenions which added quite a lot of useful functionality on top of BASE to have a more flexable way of doing multiple channels.