CMD Context verification

Ideas for ADC may be presented here for others to review and point out flaws or further improve the idea.
Forum rules
If you have an account on the wiki, remember to update the ADC Proposals page for new ideas.

http://dcbase.org/wiki/ADC_Proposals_list
Pirre

CMD Context verification

Post by Pirre » 01 Aug 2012, 10:33

A ADC hub has the obligation to forward "Unknown" ADC commands with the idea that a hubsoft does not need regular updating while the client can still use the latest features in that hub, this is a nice idea but ...

As it seems to be the general idea that the commands context (B, H, I, etc) needs to be verifyed by the hub ( its not really specified in the protocol who needs to do this) there is a problem,

A hub can not verify the context for a command it does not know.

1: This can be a command not (yet) included in the extentions but simply something a client dev has introduced , when this happen the client version doing this will need its own context verification for that command anyway ( the clients who does not know the command drop it, so no problem there)

2: It can be a command that is at that moment included in the extentions but the hubsoft is outdated, then there is a problem , the clients trust the hub will take care of the verification but it does not, so a potential security risk is created.

Therefore i propose to specify explicitly in the protocol that the responsibility to do this verification is a client matter, he is the only one who knows what commands it will use.

It will avoid future problems and a mix of who is doing what.

The hub can still have its own verifications to avoid sending commands with a bad context for its own protection or to simply save band but the client should not trust that it does.

Pretorian
Site Admin

Re: CMD Context verification

Post by Pretorian » 15 Aug 2012, 18:12

The client shouldn't really care what the type is, as specified in the beginning that clients should only use the type to parse the message. I think a better way to solve this would be as I described here; http://www.dcbase.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=781