Redirecting Users

Here is the sub forum used for talking about ideas, implementations and suggestions or typical guidelines.

Further info on extension or the protocol is found at our Wiki
darkKlor

Redirecting Users

Post by darkKlor » 01 Apr 2009, 16:38

I was just wondering, is the ability to redirect a user to another hub purely a client feature, or does the hub software have some role to play?

Sulan

Re: Redirecting Users

Post by Sulan » 01 Apr 2009, 18:37

Redirect is a hub->client protocol, its up to the recieving client (support or settingswise) what to do with the recieved redirect. The hub can ofc choose to disconnect the redirected user after sending the command. The hub can also have support to recieve commands from users (some kind of OP in i asume all hubs) to redirect other users.

Edit: I think this should go under protocol talk

Pietry

Post by Pietry » 01 Apr 2009, 19:30

Redirecting goes as a flag in QUI message , in which case the client after being disconnected needs to connect to the specified address. The client needs not to disconnect, the hub must disconnect the user.
So yes, the hub specifies the redirect address ( who else? ) , either if the redirect is a default redirect from the hub or given as a redirect command from some operator.
Just someone

darkKlor

Post by darkKlor » 01 Apr 2009, 21:31

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that little RD flag on QUI. Thankyou.

I guess then for redirect to be used on a hub, the hub must have a 'redirect user(s)' user command, since only the hub can be the originator of the actual QUI message. I had better go write one of those ;)

And yes, as it quickly became a protocol discussion, it probably should be moved to the Protocol Talk forum :)

Toast

Post by Toast » 01 Apr 2009, 21:34

Your wish is granted :P

Pietry

Post by Pietry » 02 Apr 2009, 07:19

In NMDC, kicks and redirects were done by other users directly using the hub like a dispatcher. In ADC, operators send some redirect/kick message by a hubsoft specific way, then the hub uses the standard protocol message to say to the users they have been kicked. Either like that, either that they have bad fields or do not comply to hub restrictions in which case the hub auto redirects them to some addresses that the hub operators previously defined.
Just someone