The upload queue and recent hubs paradox

Site Announcements
Pietry

The upload queue and recent hubs paradox

Post by Pietry » 24 Sep 2009, 16:37

Altough the title doesn't suggest much, this post is about a real paradox, concerning the latest major events that have been shaking up the DC network. I will try to tell the story for the simple user, how some simple features like upload queue in a client or recent hubs frame can grow to result in the deletion of StrongDC++ from Sourceforge and even to worse problems in the network.

According to PPK ( CZDC++ developer ), StrongDC++ is using pieces of code from CZDC++. What is the problem with that ? Nothing really, since both CZDC and Strong are licensed under the GNU GPL, which mostly states:
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
How does this come to copyright infringement ? Strong also uses OpenSSL, which adds the problem. You can distribute your project under GPL with the exception of compiling with OpenSSL, only if you wrote it entirely, if you used code from another GPL project, you need the permission from the respective developer.

PPK accused Big Muscle that he does not hold his permission for the use of the code he claims it's his for the following features: Upload queue, recent hubs frame and some minor features.

The paradox and stupidity of this argument dazzles. StrongDC is the worst criminal on the DC market because :
1) uses free available code from another free project ( not proved tough, the code may be from Strong, or both from another project )
2) it uses openssl another free library to provide features for the regular user ( encryption )
3) did not harm anybody, it solely provided free of charge and good software for the end user

And the end result is : StrongDC is to be deleted from Sourceforge because it violates some stupid issue of licensing. At least to me, all the situation is purely ridiculous.

Between PPK and Big Muscle there has being a war going on for some time, and it seems that PPK finally found some stupid thing to pick on, having the sole motivation to do damage to somebody else. He had absolutely nothing to lose or something harm was done to him by the StrongDC project, the so called copied code was not affecting CZDC in no way at all. I leave at your appreciation the value and the moral issue of this action.

How can this affect the DC network ? Strong DC is a hard stone client, basis for multiple other success clients like ApexDC or AirDC, which are indirectly affected. The community will not feel any reaction in the short term, but on the long term, this may lead to the actual collapse of the network, because strongdc users will be confused and possible victims of abuse.

I urge that everybody having any proof to this litige to reply and send them to Sourceforge in case something can be done to get the project back.

I also publicly ask the person that currently holds the strongdc project id on sourceforge to give the account to BigMuscle as this is the only moral and fair action to do.
Just someone

Big Muscle

Re: The upload queue and recent hubs paradox

Post by Big Muscle » 25 Sep 2009, 15:57

Thank you for nice article and for the support.

However, license is really important thing in software business. The problem lies in that there are some inconsistencies in PPK's claims. He isn't copyright holder neither one of specified things. Upload queue's copyright holder is completely different person and recent frame is just a copy of favorite frame copyrighted by Jacek Sieka. Yes, there may be other code, but it's only code which PPK copied from another sites (emoticons, country codes etc.) and now he claims that he is copyright holder. Anyway, CZDC license file from 28th February 2008 allows use all his code, although he changed this file after some time.

Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle » 01 Oct 2009, 11:07

Problem has been solved, StrongDC++ project recovered.

Pietry

Post by Pietry » 01 Oct 2009, 12:23

Seen it, I'm very glad that this happened. Sourceforge admitted they made a mistake ?
Just someone

Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle » 01 Oct 2009, 19:59

I sent them counter-notification with complete analysis of PPK's claim to show them that he is not real copyright holder, so he is not legalized to enforce license, and since real copyright holder is arne then StrongDC++ is developed in compliance with license.