[ADC 1.0.3] Features in its own section

Pretorian
Site Admin

[ADC 1.0.3] Features in its own section

Post by Pretorian » 02 Feb 2013, 15:42

The following is a change suggestion to break up the use of 'features' into its own section and makes features more clarified. This will make sure that, among other things, active and passive is properly described.
=== Features
A feature indicate support for protocol commands or functionality.

The server may use any feature that the client indicates support for regardless of its own SUP and vice versa. A client can announce features in the SUP regardless of the INF's SU field and vice versa.

A
feature name consists of four uppercase letters, where the last letter may be changed to a number to indicate a revised version of the feature.

A central register of known features is kept to avoid clashes, see below features in this protocol and and the features in the extension document.

==== BASE
All clients must support the BASE feature (unless a future revision takes its place), which is this protocol.

Clients must add the feature to the INF's SU field.

==== TCP4 / TCP6
The features TCP4/6 are used to indicate support for incoming TCP connections. The 4 and 6 indicate with IPv4 and IPv6.

Clients should add the feature to the INF's SU field.

Clients that support incoming TCP connections is referenced as 'active' where the opposite is 'passive'.

==== UDP4 / UDP6
The features UDP4/6 are used to indicate support for incoming UDP packets. The 4 and 6 indicate UDP with IPv4 and IPv6.

Clients should add the feature to the INF's SU field.

Clients that support incoming UDP packets is referenced as 'active' where the opposite is 'passive'.
The following changes should also be made;
INF:
Remove in I4/I6: Any client that supports incoming TCPv4/TCPv6 connections must also add the feature TCP4/TCP6 to their SU field.
Remove in U4/I6: Any client that supports incoming UDPv6 packets must also add the feature UDP6 to their SU field.

SUP:
Remove much of the entire :
The feature name consists of four uppercase letters, where the last letter may be changed to a number to indicate a revised version of the feature. A central register of known features should be kept, to avoid clashes. All ADC clients must support the BASE feature (unless a future revision takes its place), which is this protocol. The server may use any feature that the client indicates support for regardless of its own SUP, and vice versa.

Base messages:
Change from: ADC clients/hubs that support the following messages may advertise the feature "BASE" in the PROTOCOL phase.
To: ADC clients/hubs that support the following messages must advertise the feature "BASE".

Pretorian
Site Admin

Re: Features in its own section

Post by Pretorian » 23 Feb 2013, 17:58

I take the no comments as an agreement and I have subsequently added the posted list to the ADC document for ADC 1.0.3. See here for the SVN changes.